The Bell Equine Veterinary Clinic is situated on a 6-acre site in Mereworth, Kent. The Hospital is approved by the RCVS. The clinic’s main building houses the reception, administrative offices, pharmacy, laboratory, radiography room, theatre, nuclear scintigraphy room and 3 general examination rooms (two with stocks). There are three main barns housing 16 stables, eight of which have the facility to be monitored by CCTV. An examination area with stocks is located in one of the barns, and the other barn contains a JMB-approved measuring pad. There is a separate row of 4 stables used for nuclear scintigraphy and day cases. The isolation unit is self-contained and has two boxes, also monitored by CCTV, as well as a separate feed room and cleaning facilities. Other units on the site include the MRI building, the farrier/dentistry unit and a post-mortem room. There are concreted areas for trotting-up and lungeing as well as a sand school that is used for pre-purchase examinations, and lameness and poor performance evaluations. Outside paddocks are available for grazing hospitalised horses if deemed appropriate.
Approximately 1000 horses are hospitalised at the clinic per annum, of which about 300-400 undergo surgery under general anaesthesia. A smaller number of horses have surgical procedures performed in the standing, sedated patient under local anaesthesia (such as some laparoscopy procedures and minor orthopaedic operations). The others are hospitalised to permit detailed investigations and specialised techniques (such as nuclear scintigraphy, MRI, etc), or for medical treatments.
The senior clinicians are assisted by our residents, plus the two hospital interns and the nursing staff. The hospital interns live on site, thus ensuring 24-hour care and monitoring of hospitalised patients from the time of admission to the hospital until the time of discharge.